2011-01-19

keyboard of the future

I've had a few years of very painful RSI in my forearms, due to working in a stressful office environment, spending most of my time at a desk with a mouse and keyboard.
In a constant search for things to help with the pain, I've gone through a long list of pointing and typing devices.
I've tried split keyboards, sideways mice, trackballs, rollermouse; even using a web cam to track head movement to control the mouse.
I was most recently using an ergonomic keyboard at work kinesis-freestyle with a extra touchpad and a microsoft ergonomic keyboard (at home).

after reading the-keyboard-cult  I thought I should try mechanical keyboards.
I looked at daskeyboard, happy hacker, miniguru (which may come out in kit form) and some others, but they were either very expensive or ugly.

Then I found the razer blackwidow.

I have a couple of razer gaming mice at home, and hard mice mats which are both great. So I thought I'd give the blackwidow a go.
  • It has mechanical switches (Cherry MX Blue) - clicky and tactile.
  • It is fully and easily programmable - I set up my dvorak+Caps is ctrl setup in a manner of minutes
  • It's all black - matte keys and gloss body
I'm very happy with it!

I'm not sure about the other mechanical keyboards available, but this one allows you to program every single key with a different key or macro for each profile (apart from the FN which is used to select profiles). It will even switch profiles automatically for different programs.

best part is, I got one from CPL for only $109 :D

I've heard some people complain about the noise level, but I wouldn't say it would bother anyone.
The feel is very much like a mouse click, and as a result I do think it makes a difference in how heavy handed my typing is.
I think that only pushing on the keys until the click is felt (and heard) should make a difference to my RSI as well, as it is more gently on the fingers.

Looks great, feels good, will save time (via macros) and doesn't cost $350 :P

I can't imagine going back to my old keyboards ..... I may just have to get one for home as well ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment